Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pumpkin Regatta and More: September 25, 2011

This was my first PUMPKIN REGATTA and I was happy to be able to go with my oldest daughter, my son in law and my two grandkids. We headed off to Cooperstown as soon as everyone had eaten and gotten ready for the day. Chris drove some back roads that I had never been on before. I must remember that next time I go through Toddsville, to NOT turn right, but to turn left and find the old cemetery we passed today!

When we arrived, Chris dropped Megan and I and the kids off and he went to find a parking spot. We watched some of the contestants work on finishing decorating their huge pumpkins and saw some of the finished pumpkins:


Cassy and I found a front row seat along the edge of the lake. We took our shoes off and dangled our feet in the cool water. We watched as the pumpkins and their rower paddled out to the starting point for the races. After a while, we got bored with that and went to check out the booths. Cassy and I made pumpkin pins:
tested various flavors of peanut butter and had fried dough. Cassy and I watched the very last race, and here is a picture:

We met up with the rest of our group: Chris and Megan, Tina and Mike, Ryan, Jason and Jen, and the kids. Tyler got his own fried dough and Megan and I tried the french fries with cheese. While Cassy was looking at the alpacas, a photographer talked with her and took her picture and said it will be in the next edition of HOMETOWN ONEONTA.

We walked down Main Street. We saw this pumpking which weighs more than a thousand pounds:
Megan and Tina went into a shop to get some candy and Tyler and Jamie were fooling around with a pumpkin display when another photographer came along and took their picture to post on a local tourism website.

We walked to the front of THE OTESAGA and sat for a few minutes before going to the car. Then we drove to Oneonta. I showed Megan and Chris the new mural. We went to THE GOLDEN GUERNSEY.
Then we went out to Gilbert Lake State Park so they could show the kids where they got married in l999. This is a family picture I took on the dock.
On the way back to my house, I pointed out the Morris version of Stonehenge. It looks like it may have suffered some damage in the recent flooding.

No comments:

Post a Comment