Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chick'n and Biscuits Adventure

I saw info. in the Daily Star a few days ago about the ALDRICH BAPTIST CHURCH offering a chicken and biscuits supper today (Saturday September 17th). I asked Terry if she wanted to go and she did. Yesterday, she asked me if there was anything else we could do before going to the dinner. I started putting together plans for an afternoon getaway.

This was the first day that I had to NOT wear shorts or capris and I reluctantly wore blue jeans.

After going to WalMart to pick up a couple of prescriptions and having a very light lunch at McDonalds, I met up with Terry at HOME DEPOT. We headed out towards Delhi, so we could look for a geocache (X ahead). On the way to the geocache location, we saw a farmstand that had some HUGE pumpkins on display. We stopped to see the pumpkins and check out the stand. We both purchased a couple of items and I took a bunch of pictures of the pumpkins and of a mama duck with her baby ducklings.





Next stop was the location of the geocache. Terry and I both looked for about fifteen minutes but we did not have any success. We finally gave up and decided to head to Treadwell. Terry showed me a back road to Treadwell that I had never been on.

On the way to Treadwell (on 28) Terry pointed out this old building on the corner of 29 and Grange Hall Road. It was formerly a grange hall, and at one time a dance hall.

When we got to Treadwell, we were both disappointed to find BARLOW'S STORE closed. We went to the Treadwell Museum of Fine Art. The owner, Joseph Kurhajec, was busy talking to another visitor (obviously someone who knows the world of art and is familiar with his work) and even though I had the money in my hand, I never had an opportunity to pay our admissions. Terry didn't seem to like Joseph's work.....in fact, she said the place was a bit scary! Nevertheless, it was a real adventure being their for the second time. Here are a couple of pictures I took in the Treadwell Museum of Fine Art:


Then we drove down the road, towards Delhi, hoping to find the place that I saw on my last trip to Treadwell, a place that sells vintage furniture. We found the place,
but it was closed. The name of it is OLD SOUL: RECYCLED AND VINTAGE FURNITURE. I took a picture of a sign with a phone number to call, so that I can call and go when they are open. We drove back to Treadwell and went to an antique shop.
Terry and I both made small purchases.

Then on to Franklin. Our first stop was the convenience store, so we could use the
restroom. Then I drove further down the road in order to show MEL'S ANTIQUE RACING CARS to Terry.
Mel was not there, but he had told me before to come any time and bring my friends, and that it would be fine to look around if he was not there. Terry LOVED Mel's and we spent about twenty minutes (maybe more) walking around and looking at his cars and other old items. Terry particularly liked the S and H Green Stamp sign. After that we went to a few antique shops on Main Street, Franklin. One is in the location of a former feed mill. Terry found a piece of blue cobalt glass that she purchased.

Before heading over to North Franklin, we stopped at the Franklin Cemetery so Terry could visit her parents gravesites. We didn't take time to look around the cemetery.I think this visit saddened Terry a bit. She had not seen her parents graves in a long time. Terry told me that she has no living relatives except for her children.

We arrived at the ALDRICH BAPTIST CHURCH (on Route 28 between Oneonta and Meridale) a few minutes after four. The first thing that happened when we stepped inside the basement cafeteria is Terry ran into two "long lost cousins".
I took pictures, and will make copies to give to Terry. Then another relative came to our table and talked to Terry a bit. All four women were delighted to meet up and they exchanged phone numbers. The chicken and biscuits, coleslaw and fresh tomatoes were pretty good. The blueberry pie was GREAT! I ran into Margaret, who I worked with the Catskill Center for Independence many years ago.

Terry and I agreed that it was a great day and that the best way to plan a day trip is around a church dinner at the end! When I got home, I took a picture of the stuff I brought home from this day trip:
A small green glass bottle that I got at the antique place in Treadwell, a pumpkin, a tomato and a green pepper I got from the farmstand, and a piece of chocolate pie that I brought home from the church supper. As I was leaving, I jokingly asked a teenage girl who was working if I could take a couple of pieces of pie home with me, and she said "no problem". But I only took one!

No comments:

Post a Comment