Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oxford Adventure with Terry





Hoppie's: Oxford, New York
Originally uploaded by JuneNY


Carol asked me to go to her daughter in laws art show in Oxford. It was today. When it turned out that Carol could not get off of work early so that we could go early and explore Oxford together, I asked Terry if she was interested, and she was.

I picked Terry up at two p.m. in Morris and we headed over towards Oxford. Unfortunately, my STREET FINDER decided today was a good time to act up, so we wasted some time finding our way.

Along the way, we went through South New Berlin. I decided to stop and take a picture of Toby's, a junk shop right on the main drag. Carol, Terry and I had stopped there last fall when we went to a church supper there, but I did not have my camera with me at that time. Toby had told us that he would be moving to a new place soon. Well, the old place is still there, nothing has changed (except maybe it is in worse condition now) and a new guy was running it. Terry saw a beautiful cut glass dish and said she wanted it. She got it for one dollar! I think it is worth a LOT more than that.



We headed on towards Oxford, well we hoped we were going in the right direction, my navigation system seemed to have some really strange ideas about turning in the wrong direction, so we ignored it. My mapquest cut off the last part of the route, so we were on our own. We wasted a few minutes driving around Norwich, but then we saw a sign for Oxford, so we knew we were heading in the right direction.



We made it to Oxford and got a parking spot right in front of the art gallery (Six on the Square). Off we went to explore. First we went to the Clachan Coffee House . The 1914 building is built from a former horse-drawn lunch wagon, which was carted to road, railroad and canal work sites. They serve coffee, tea, other drinks and snack items. The owner showed us some old photographs of the place.



Then we stopped in the drug store to see if we could find some postcards. We found some, and we heard the cashier talking to another customer about SKY BARS...........a treat from my childhood. Terry and I each bought one.
Then we went geocaching. There is a cache hidden on the bridge on Main Street. Terry found it and she was excited to find her first geocache all by herself.



We walked around the square a bit and I took some pictures of interesting buildings. A little after four, we went into Hoppie's which sure is a cool place.It is made up to look like a 1950's soda fountain, complete with an old jukebox. Terry and I split a "Dagwood" sandwich. Its a good thing we split it because I could barely finish my half. Terry played some songs on the jukebox, and I took some pictures.



It was five p.m. by then so we went to the art gallery and met Jill Kraft, Carol's daughter in law. We looked at her work and talked with her a bit. I took a bunch of pictures. Carol was supposed to meet us at five but she was late. We waited until she got there at 5:30, talked a few minutes and the headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment